The following information provides you with an overview of submitting a transfer request for Request authorization to receive animals from an external organization. This request type should be used if you are requesting animals from an affiliate (TBRI or VA) or a non-affiliated organization.
- Cheat sheet - Ship from an unaffiliated organization
- Cheat sheet - Transfer from TBRI or VA to HSC
- Procedure for acquiring animals for free or with shipping charges only
- From the ORCA Dashboard, locate the protocol you need to transfer animals into
- Click the Action drop down
- Click Animal Transfer/Relocation
- Select a Transfer Type: Request authorization to receive animals from an external organization
- Respond to the Yes/No question
- If No, you will be able to proceed to the sections: Move Animals FROM; Move Animals TO and Animals to be relocated.
Once you have selected transfer type Request authorization to receive animals from an external organization a YES / NO question will be asked:
This form is only used to request to transfer animals that have already been purchased, or the only cost is shipping.
Move Animals FROM (all fields in this section are required)
Organization: select an organization from the drop down list. *required
- Texas Biomedical Research Institute
- South Texas VA
Other Organization Name: enter name of 'Other' organization into this field when 'Other' is selected.*required
Transported By: select the transporting method. Options:*required
- DLAR Staff and Vehicles (default if STVA is chosen)
- Shipping vendor arranged by DLAR
- Shipping vendor arranged by the external organization
Contact Person: the person who is the contact for this transfer at the selected organization. If there is also a shipping coordinator, their name must be included in this field. *required
Contact Phone/Email: the person who is the contact for this transfer at the selected organization. If there is also a shipping coordinator, their email must be included in this field. *required
Move Animals TO (this protocol) – where your species will be moved to (required fields are marked)
Campus: select the campus where your species are currently located *not required
Building: select the building location where your species are currently located *not required
Room: select the room location where your species are currently located *not required
Contact Person: the person who is completing the request will have their name automatically entered. If the contact person is someone other than the person completing the form enter their full name. *required
Contact Phone/Email: the person who is completing the request will have their email and phone number automatically entered. If the contact person is someone other than the person completing the form, enter their phone number and email address. *required
The system will automatically populate the name and phone number of the person completing the form. The person logged on will have the ability to edit the information.
Animals being relocated (all fields in this section are required)
Species: all species associated with the protocol will be displayed (only one species can be transferred per form)
Number of Animals: enter the number of animals to be relocated.
Instructions:Enter any other special instructions that may be needed and will be helpful to the request.
*If you are requesting a transport of animals on a Reciprocal IACUC protocol (VA or TBRI) please indicate that in the instructions.
Requested Completion Date: select a date, which is greater than today’s date you would like the species transferred. Please note, this date can be changed by either the IACP or LAR office if they deem necessary. The date you are able to select cannot be less than 72 hours from the day the form is created.
Submit a Request
Once you complete all required field, click the Submit Request button.Once submitted the IACP office will be notified. Once approved by the IACP office, the request will be routed to LAR.
The status of the request can be viewed in the Protocol History page. To access, from your protocols listed on your dashboard, click the History icon . Once clicked, you will be directed to the protocol history page.
Procedures for acquiring animals for free or with shipping charges only
The following was emailed on behalf of Dr. Nijland, PhD, Assistant VP for Research on March 4, 2016
When you are acquiring animals for free or with shipping charges only from an external organization (such as the NIH NIA), the follow procedure should be followed:
- Complete your transaction with the animal provider and send DLAR any finalized order documentation to include the NIA ROS ORDER # when applicable to email@example.com
- Login to ORCA, choose the protocol that animals are being added to, and submit an Animal Transfer request, selecting “Transfer from an external source”
- To complete the transfer request:
- Move animals FROM:
- Organization – select Other
- Other Organization – describe the organization as needed. For example: "NIA ROS Order”
- Transported By – select Shipping Vendor arranged by the external organization
- Contact Person/Phone/Email – provided if known
- Move animals TO:
- Complete all required fields.
- The contact information is the protocol contact or investigator
- Animals being received:
- Use the instructions field to provide strain, stock #, weight/age and sex of the animals your are expecting. Provide a breakdown of the number requested within each if appropriate
- Use the Requested Completion Date as the Delivery Date
This procedure is necessary to ensure the number of animals being added to your protocol is captured and verified by the IACP. It also ensures that DLAR is prepared to receive the shipment. Be aware that cage cards are generated the day before shipments are processed so the above should be completed in a timely manner.
Animals arriving at a UTHSCSA animal facility unannounced will not be accepted and returned to the vendor.