Transfer specific pages:
- Protocol to Protocol Transfer
- Transfer animals to an external researcher/entity
- Request Authorization to receive animals from an affiliate organization
- Relocate animals without transferring to another Protocol
Animal transfer requests will be made available via O.R.C.A. Paper requests will no longer be required or accepted in the DLAR office. To complete a transfer, you must be the PI, Co-PI, or Delegate to the Protocol. Guides and videos will be posted to this page along with communications via DLAR website.
Details on this page will provide you an overview of the steps to take when accessing and completing a transfer request.
When to use the a transfer/relocation request?
|Transfers that do not change the number of animals added to a UTHSCSA protocol:||Transfer Type|
Relocate from one UTHSCSA housing room to another
|Relocate Animals without transferring to another protocol|
Transport animals on a Reciprocal IACUC protocol from an affiliated organization (i.e., VA or TBRI) back to the HSC.
Request authorization to deliver animals from an affiliate organization
|Transport animals on a Reciprocal IACUC protocol from the HSC to an affiliate organization (i.e., VA or TBRI)|
Transfer Animals to an external researcher/entity
|Ship to another(unaffiliated) organization||Transfer Animals to an external researcher/entity|
|Transfers that increase the total number of animals added to the receiving UTHSCSA protocol:||Transfer Type|
Reassign to another IACUC protocol (whether or not the animals are relocated to a different housing room), including:
|Transfer animals to another HSC protocol|
|Receive animals from another (unaffiliated) organization (not purchasing animals)||Request authorization to deliver animals from an affiliate organization|
General Steps to use when accessing and completing any type of transfer request:
- Log on to ORCA
- Click the Action drop down to the protocol you will be working with
- Click Transfer/Relocate Animals
- Protocol information will be displayed on the center of the screen
- To select the type of transfer you will be completing, click the Select transfer type: drop down
- Once a transfer type is selected, the form will display on the screen. Each transfer type will provide you a different set of fields to complete
- Once you have completed all required fields, click the Submit Request button. If a required field is not completed, you will see a the required field's border highlighted in red.
When an animal transfer form is completed, the request will be routed to the IACP office or the LAR office.
IACP queue: Once the IACP office approves the below requests, the form will be routed to the LAR office.
- Transfer animals to another Protocol (Protocol to Protocol)
- Request authorization to deliver animals from an affiliate organization (Receiving animals from an External researcher/entity). * if this is a transfer for a reciprocal protocol, please indicate in form instruction field*
Denying or Approving a request
- if the animal transfer request is denied, the person who completed the request will recieve an email notification, subject: ORCA Transfer Request Review Decision
- if the animal transfer request is approved, the person who completed the request will recieve an email notification, subject: ORCA Transfer Request Submission
LAR queue: The below requests do not require IACP office approval and will automatically be routed to the LAR office.
- Relocate animals
- Transfer animals to an external entity (either affiliate or non-affiliate)
Denying or Approving a request
- if the animal transfer request is denied or approved, the person who completed the request will recieve an email notification, subject: ORCA Transfer Request LAR Action
The status of the request can be viewed in the Protocol History page. To access, from your protocols listed on your dashboard, click the History icon. Once clicked, you will be directed to the protocol history page.
What are the differences between requests in ORCA and the paper form?
- PIs/staff requesting and receiving the species were required to sign the paper form. In the new system, that option is not included.
- On the paper form, errors were identified when completed (Protocol No., specifically) by the PI/Staff. With ORCA, drop down options with the protocol information is made available to the person requesting a transfer. Room for error decreases when we present the PI/Staff with a list of their protocols, and a list of others' protocols.
- The paper form did not indicate turn around time from when a request was started to when it reached the LAR office. Once a request is submitted, a date and time stamp is placed on the following actions: when a request was submitted and when the request transitioned from the IACP office to the DLAR office and when the request was approved, or denied.
- Protocol to Protocol transfers must be initiated by the PI who is giving the species to another PI, not the PI gaining the species.
- For all transfers, a PI/Staff cannot request a completion date less than 72 hours from beginning the transfer request.
To successfully access ORCA, Google Chrome is the recommended browser supported by regulatory and IT support staff.
If you have technical difficulties logging on, or viewing a protocol information contact VPR-IT@UTHSCSA.EDU OR 210-562-5691.
If you have questions specific to the transfer or relocation of your animals, email email@example.com.