this study is to assess the effects of a lifestyle intervention including low-carb diet and exercise, enhanced by self-monitoring and individualized feedback through health technologies on renal function in overweight or obese T2D patients with early stage diabetic kidney disease (DKD) or without DKD.
1) patients at TDI
2) aged 18 and over
3) obese or overweight (BMI>=25kg/m2)
4) being diagnosed as T2D for at least 6 months
5) free of renal function impairment or with mild DKD (eGFR>60mL/min/1.73m2)
6) can speak and understand English
7) own a smart phone.
1) having plans to leave the city or USA within 6 months at enrollment
2) severe chronic conditions (e.g. severe heart disease, renal disease, cognitive impairment, etc.) that would preclude them from participating
3) unwillingness to sign the consent form and be randomized into a study group
4) enrollment in other weight loss programs
5) inability to walk without assistance (by self-report)
6) being pregnant or breast feeding (by self-report)